Saturday, June 30, 2012

What is in a name?

In one of the last episodes of Gilmore Girls, Rory and Lorelei are talking about decisions. I think it's right after Rory's boyfriend proposes to her and she obviously has to make a choice between life with the man she loves, and the dreams for a career she has been chasing for her whole life. Rory is conflicted and just wants some direction but Lorelei refuses to force her hand in either direction.
"It's like the bird-versus-turtle Halloween costume all over again," Rory says. Lorelei replies,"Well, I didn't crack then, and I'm not gonna crack now. I think you just need to figure it out. And remember, that flying-turtle-bird was the most original costume in the third grade."
I don't know about anyone else, but I loved that moment. The show had kind of gone to shit by that point without it's original writer, and I was losing hope that the conclusion of the series would ever reunite us with the original spirit of the story I had fallen in love with. Yet here it was, a moment! And that moment really hit me. Of course, there are decisions whose conclusions are either yes or no, but sometimes it's equally acceptable to forge your own way and make yourself into a flying-turtle-bird.

Decisions are the bane of my existence! I'm the worst at making choices, and I usually put off the actual deciding until the absolute last moment, and by then the choice is no longer a choice, I have limited myself, and I am frustrated beyond all reckoning, with a healthy dose of self-loathing thrown in for fun. It's yet another piece of my elegant persona that is in need of work! So, when I started this blog, I had just made a decision that was uncomfortable in its aftermath. Every once in a while I pull out my DVD's of Gilmore Girls and watch through the series, and I had just watched that episode was feeling as though my whole life was one great big, ill fitting, flying-turtle-bird costume. So I did the logical thing, I bitched about it online, here!

This blog was conceived of as a place for me to try on the costume, beleaguer the state of my current existence, and hope that some order would follow. Obviously, I abandoned this whole enterprise for a while, but I'm returning to it now with the goal of some progress in my character development. That's all for tonight I suppose. Tomorrow's topic for discussion will be some rather awkward mac'n cheese and very fluffy brownies!



No comments:

Post a Comment