Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Not so Doris Day!

I think that I totally missed the "housecleaning gene" if something of that sort could really exist! Domesticity is NOT my strong suit. As a kid, our house was always a disaster, mainly because we were going in every different direction at all hours of the day. It was insanely hard to keep up with a presentable home when between school, work and Sis and I, strangers were also traipsing around the house for Dad's business. The downstairs looked relatively presentable most of the time, but the rest of the house was usually relatively demolished! Moving down here was interesting because for the first time I was responsible for my own space. Alas, the habits were set and in Boise I've been battling my tendency for slovenliness with some success.

When it was the Roomie and I living here, I alternated between phases of an almost bipolar housekeeping practice. Roomie and I would trade off having months of anal attentiveness to apartment, and months of pretty hardcore negligence. Now that I live with Jackson, things are a little different. Roomie wanted a clean house as much as myself, but Jackson feels a little less of that compulsion. Not that he's a complete slob, it's just that he doesn't really feel much of a need to have things really clean and when cleaning actually occurs he doesn't really seem to do deep cleans. I think he just doesn't see dirty! He tries though, and that means there is hope for us. Huzzah!

Since one of my old friends came down from CDA for a visit, there was no way in Hell she was going to see the normal dishevelment of my abode! So, I set to cleaning the place with a vengeance. Jack really tried to help, but he wasn't the most useful of participants. Angie (the visiting friend) came, saw, and conquered my newly tidied place, and the aftermath leaves us with a ground zero that will hopefully be maintained! Who knows... More than anything though, this has led me to understand the monumental amount of cleaning supplies I never use.

Just a little disconcerting. When did I start to hoard so many chemicals? When I first moved down here I think the most I had was some Simple Green, toilet cleaner and some dish soap! Suddenly I have two kinds of carpet cleaner, Barkeepers Friend, Comet, Simple Green, chlorine bleach, window cleaner, two kinds of dish soap, and so much more.... It's a little intimidating now to peek under my sink and find the cleaner army hiding in the darkness. I think I will make it a goal to diminish the amount of cleaners in my home soon, well as soon as we run out at least. Jack and I have discussed using vinegar cleaners before, but I don't think it had much reinforcement until reading today's entry at Sweet Roots. I love that Mary was contemplating kitchen clutter as well!

By far the best advantage of getting the apartment in order is the fact that I can really use my kitchen for some fun! Jackson and I made some delicious Thai curry and homemade PopTarts! Not entirely sure about the success of the PopTarts, they look good, but tomorrow's breakfast will be the true test. We'll see!

Yeah, my template was a Celestial Seasonings Tea box! 


I'm thinking of using this as a place to review recipes, discuss books, and of course whine about the usual mundane in my life. I wonder if that would be worth reading? I've been meaning to post more regularly and perhaps making these recipes will provide the motivation I need to actually update this thing. Anyhoo, until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment